Open The Bag - Medicines Wastage...
Every year in Norfolk and Waveney, an estimated £4,738,692 of unused medicines are wasted (based on Department of Health figures for the UK nationally).
Of the £4.7m worth of unused medicines we estimate that:
- £1.69m is being returned to pharmacies because it’s not needed
- £1.41m is kept in the home and is out of date
- £0.78m is disposed of in care homes
How can the public help save money wasted on medicines?
• If you don’t need the medicine please open the bag and hand it back to the counter or to the delivery driver.
• If you can’t take a medicine tell your GP, pharmacist or nurse.
One You - see the Home page for more information